Friday, August 18, 2006

Changes In Attitudes, Changes In Latitudes


A few days ago, I was called out of the blue, to interview with a fortune 500 company. I love my job, and so I was just about half listening when the woman on the other end of the phone going on about how this was just entry level, they build their team from within, did I know where the building was (yes) and then she dropped the bombshell. The thing that shook my world as I knew it to be -- nearly double what I was making at my dream job. I thought and thought about it, I talked to my sister, and my mother and my husband...I second and third guessed myself. The very next day, after some drama in the office in the morning, I made the call at lunch, could I schedule an interview? I thought the interview went well, meanwhile I am feeling like a louse. How could I leave the job I had been drooling over for a year?!? How could I leave the position that allowed me to rub elbows with people I respected and admired and called ME on the phone? How could I even think of leaving. Then of course the practical Capricorn side of me was arguing for the increase in salary, the added benefit of carpooling with my husband, the benefits of working for a large company, in the field I had trained in, obtained an expensive degree for...

So the day came that the woman I actually interviewed with said she would call, since she had other canidates to interview. Just when I had nearly given up, the phone rang, and she offered me the job. I was speechless (not something that happens often) and I stammered out an acceptance. Now what??? For a week, I searched for the answer, then I got the stomach flu and the new company called my supervisor for a reference. Problem solved ?!? I went to work this morning and was asked if I had accepted another position. Of course, being the wonderful people they are, they certainly understood, especially considering the fact that I have a son going to college...I would be stupid not to take it, what an opportunity...blah, blah, blah. It doesn't ease the conscience, or sooth the feeling of me abandoning them.

I did the grown up thing. I didn't leave in a snit or after being bawled out in front of the entire bottom floor, or not give notice, or quit and leave them in a bind, I hadn't sent out my resume, this company came looking for me...I gave my two weeks, and called the only person I thought was qualified for the position. She has a four year old and wasn't ready to work full time, but she let me know that a mutual friend of ours might like a chance at an interview. Still for some reason I feel a tad guilty, I guess it just proves that I care alot about the people there...it feels oddly like a divorce, on one hand I am so excited about the possibilities my future holds, and sad to leave at the same time...kinda weird.

They have been filming a movie on my street at work this past couple of weeks...today I saw Ben Affleck, not once but several times, and his lovely wife (none of the other stars yet anyway). I was leaving for the day and good ol' Ben was in front of the row of trailers, about 50 yards or so from me...I tried to behave, I didn't go screaming across the street and act like a nit wit, I just smiled and waved. Of course, he smiled and waved back (what a gentleman) then I got in the car, and immediately called
my sister with a guess who I just waved at me squeel...

Ok, so I haven't completely grown up, just in case you were checking...until next time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home